Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Am Legend

Umm, Not me... I'm just a weak-ass blogger / reviewer of the novel and a couple of film versions.
Just finished Richard Matheson's novella after seeing the release of a new version a couple of weeks ago. Thought it would be worthwhile to just offer a few observations.

Omega Man: Chuck Heston as Robert Neville


"Omega Man" has always stayed with me since seeing it thirty-odd years ago. Heston, who established Moses as the prototype of heroic Biblical heroes, continued his firm jawed, strong and stolid heroic performance in this film. His sister(?) film to this was "Soylent Green". Well worth a rental.


I Am Legend: Will Smith as Robert Neville

Will Smith, among my favorite actors, is good in this picture. My only complaints are that Hollywood had to add way too much CGI, had to create a huge cinematic climax, and a happy ending. I liked how the producers built the plot around an "unintended consequence".

Peter Dang's Amateur Production Based on Novel


I think this amateur mini well represented the tone of the book.

"I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson
A dreary depressing book, but Matheson was a much better writer than I expected. I expected schlock, and it wasn't. Rather a great description of the inner turmoil of a man alone. No happy ending to be found here. Worth a read.

No comments: