Sunday, November 11, 2007

November 11, 2007

I've spent several hours today watching The History Channel's tribute to our soldiers of wars long past but not forgotten. On CBC Radio today I listened to a half hour or so of Afghanada. My eyes welled with tears several times as I tried to adapt the wrinkled faces of old men on TV to the the smooth faces they had when in Europe fighting to save a continent from fascism.
A few minutes ago there was a feature on a French Canadian guy - Leo Major - with he as an eighty-five year old surrounded by young teenage Dutch kids, being treated like a celebrity.
And I thought of a time sixty years from now, with older, wrinkled versions of our now young soldiers in Kandahar and Kabul, and American soldiers in Baghdad being treated the same way. By the grandchildren of children in those far away cities today.
May God continue to bless those who will give their lives for the safety and freedom of others.

No comments: